Monday, June 07, 2004

my two cents' take on the french films at GB3

Have seen 5 films that are showing at the French Filml Festival in GB3 these past few days:

LE COUER DE HOMMES (French Men) - Pardon my French, but shouldn't the translation be "The Hearts of Men"? Anyway, the film is about four guy friends, aged late 30s to early 60s, who have to deal with their own personal love/family/relationship problems. Think French-masculine version of such chick flicks as Waiting to Exhale and Noon at Ngayon.

As the opening film of the festival, I was kinda expecting more. Whoa, well. I guess not all French can make interesting films. This one was a big letdown. Not even Star Cinema (commercial standards notwithstanding) would give this kind of film a go. Sorry to say!

MARIE JO ET DEUX AMOURS (Marie Jo and Her Two Lovers) - About a woman who's torn between her foreman-husband and her ship-captain lover. Sigh. Sigh, sigh sigh. Is this what I braved the bad weather for? Didn't come all the way to Greenbelt for a letdown. Shucks.

Well, at least the picturesque view (film was set in the seaside town of Marseilles) almost compensates for the bad movie.

CONTE DE AUTOMNE (An Autumn Tale) - a middle-aged widowed countrywoman becomes the target of two matchmaking ruses orchestrated by her bestfriend (a glam city woman) and the girlfriend of her son (a Felicity lookalike).

Dashes of humor every once in a while, but the ending didn't sit all that well for me. The French has been known to be fond of open endings, but this one wasn't well justified. At least it's better than Marie Jo, though.

SEX IS COMEDY - about a woman director's attempt to make a sex film. Just about the best among those I've seen so far. The film, directed with such in-your-face boldness by Catherine Breillat, was also screened at the Cinemanila last August, I think. Reminds me of Living in Oblivion.

A LA PETIT SEMAIN (Nickel and Dime) - a heist flick, but no action no-brainer. A lesser version of The Usual Suspects. The ending wasn't too bad, either. The second best film of the five I've seen, in my humble opinion.

2 comments:

beatlebum said...

Talagang pag sex nga naman ang content o, taas ng rating! Hehehehe :D Joke only. I think I wanna watch Conte de Automne.

saffron_blue said...

beatlebum, funny sya in an offbeat kinda way. kasi yung dalawang matchmakers, and minamatch dun sa widow, yung mga lalakeng sila talaga ang gusto. hehe. ka-swerte ng mga enday na igto.