Saturday, December 18, 2004

won't take the train away from 2046 (not yet, anyway)

I cannot rave enough about Wong Kar Wai's new film, 2046. Sent raves to all of my fellow WKW fans, posted a rave on Friendster, gabbed about it dozens of times. I pray that someday, I can get to make a film like that. A film that will hit the right mark in people's hearts. A film that will show how it is to be human in an imperfect, complicated world. A film that will make 24-year-old girls cry.

We are transients in each other's lives...
Passing through, like ghosts,
touching each other for a moment or longer...
...til the next train comes.

That train in 2046, in all its cold metallic sadness. Run away from all the unfulfilled yearnings of your heart. Run away from the painful memories. Take that train, that train that train that train away from 2046...

God I love that movie. And I love Tony Leung! Was a Leslie Cheung fan before and hardly noticed his partner in "Happy Together", but Tony was just damn gorgeous in 2046. And I don't only pertain to his looks. He looks great, man, but it's how he moves in that smooth sophisticated way, how he looks at a person with those doleful, courting, take-care-of-me eyes. And the scene where Zang Ziyi slaps him is, as far as I'm concerned, a shining moment. Tony's expression smoothly changes from embarrassment (a GIRL just slapped ME) and anger (Why, you bitch, I'll show you) to a mask of calm amusement. Then he tells Zang: I'm glad I made you feel better by that slap. Slap me again, if that's what it will take to make you happy.

Ang galeng galeng. Nakakatakot atang maka-meet ng ganyang lalake sa tunay na buhay.

I'd settle for the lesser mortals in my midst. The new people I meet everyday, thanks to my current racket. I'm raring to begin on a new shoot again but while I'm waiting, there's the monitoring job to do.

I'd like to tell myself that I met someone new, someone interesting, but then again I know the truth and truth is it's all just in my mind. If a hype-up would bring rosiness to this life somehow, then why not, but in my past history we know that I don't handle hypeup cases all too well. I get carried away. I hype the person up so well in my head that I tend to forget how falsely it all started.


No comments: