Sunday, February 27, 2005

Circa Mid-90's, In Retrospect

Two events in the past two days brought back the memory of my own time in twilight zone, a.k.a. the High School Years.

KEANU-STALGIA
One, the Keanu Reeves thriller-starrer "Constantine". My high school bestfriend (and fellow former Keanu aficionado) Sappho caught it at the neighborhood mall last Friday. The movie sucked (loose ends galore by closing credits, poor excuse for a narrative), but Keanu looked damn good. Which almost compensates for everything else.
Keanu was my one great fictional love in high school. I was the Fan in every sense of the word. At that time, the present was a purgatorial blur, a dull existence. I was stuck in a world that wasn't so friendly to mousy, timid, sensitive girls with bangs. And Keanu--ditsy dude that he was; monotone, gay rumors, bland acting and all--was my savior. My celluloid god. My Muse in flesh-and-blood. And come to think of it, I DID come up with pretty nail-biting stuff at that time. Ha ha ha.

So maybe not everyone would agree with me saying that Keanu looked good in "Constantine". Gone was the supple,creamy love-to-touch-that skin of Kevin Lomax in Devil's Advocate (40 years on earth will do that to ya, man...and not being Brad Pitt-vain), but Keanu is STILL Keanu. For this dudette, at least. He will always be beeyatch-beautiful to me.

ROMY AND MICHELLE'S HIGH SCHOOL REUNION...SANS THE POST-ITS
Went to my High School's Grand Alumni Homecoming last night. (So last week was a High School Retrospect Week!). Got one of the Ten Exemplary Alumni Award (puzzling thingie...must be the Clermont-Ferrand thingie, or ABS-CBN). It was fun to see those familiar faces again, seeing how much (or how little) everyone's changed. Seated in our table were engineers, managers, and a soon-to-be-doctor. And to think that, eight years ago, we were only worrying over passing the practical exams of our terror T.H.E. teacher (Hi Tandoc...)!
After the homecoming we trooped to a nearby watering hole to talk over beers and pulutan. What would have pissed us off/made us cry eight years ago made us laugh last night (Guy 1 to Guy 2, former mortal enemies: "Di ba nagsuntukan tayo non?!"; Former PRankster to Me: "Di ba pinag-sign of the cross ka ni Tandoc ng 100 times?!"). And the green jokes were something that both the boys and girls now enjoy trading, when eight years ago if something green were tossed out in the open the girls would have reacted with a serious "Yuuuck ang bastos!". Haha. There were no boys and girls in that table last night. Only a group of like-minded adults. Nax! Growing up is a beautiful thing.

High school was far from perfect. I wuzn't Prom Queen/Class President/Valedictorian (Heck, at some point even felt like Carrie), but I'm glad for that time in teenage purgatory, somehow. Who knows. If I hadn't gone through that I probably wouldn't have the guts to silently promise everyone on Graduation Day that I was going to come back with a vengeance someday. Haha. With or without the Post-Its!

My Mid-90s Soundtrack:
Freshman Year
1. Fixin' A Broken Heart
2. Toyang
3. I Miss You in a Heartbeat
4. You Were There
Sophomore Year
1. Stay
2. Zombie
3. Magasin
4. Creep
Junior Year
1. Ode to My Family
2. The Speed Soundtrack Album(Yes, there was a soundtrack album)
3. The 2nd Cranberries album (the one with Ode to my Family)
4. Huling El Bimbo
Senior Year
1. Alanis' Jagged Little Pill Album
2. Wannabe by Spice Girls
3. Here I Am Again
4. It Might Be You

No comments: