Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Breaking the Habit

Dear Audrey,

These past few days I've been trying to kick out a very bad habit. Hindi lang sya isang habit anak, but a complex system of habits brought about by a certain mindset. You see, I have always had a problem with meeting work deadlines. Mahirap magsulat ng script, kumakain talaga sya ng oras, and I have always wanted to submit work that is presentable enough, pero sa trabahong ito, and the field I am in, DEADLINES really MATTER. Because we are all part of a team, at pag na-late sa delivery ang isang trabahador, magkakaroon ng domino effect sa buong team.

I wish you would not grow up inheriting my chronic tardiness. Na-realize ko, ang susi doon ay disiplina. Disiplina, thinking ahead, and focus. And change the mindset ("Oh shit, I don't think I can make that deadline, mabagal talaga ako").

So what I try to do is set a calendar for myself. Kung 1 week from now ang deadline, I set minigoals. Kung makakasubmit ako ng trabaho by Day 7, dapat by Day 3, nakatapos na ako ng certain amount of work (I specify- sequence treatment ba? Day 3 of 7 script days? etc). There should be a goal set for every single day, para pag behind ako sa schedule, alam ko kung paano hahabol o mag-compensate.  PLAN AHEAD, SET MINI-GOALS AND MEET THEM.

I have read somewhere, too, that the best time to work is upon waking up in the morning. It's when your mind is at its freshest, at its clearest, wala pang masyadong clutter. So I try na gayahin yung style nung iba-- pag work day, upon waking up, don't reach for my phone to check my social media or surf the net. Punta agad sa laptop and work. (Okay, I make coffee first. Can't live without it when I'm working!).  DO BRAINWORK DURING THE FIRST 3 HOURS UPON WAKE-UP TIME.

Ang isip ng tao, parang makina o computer lang din. The more info is in there, mas mabagal ang speed habang ginagawa ang dapat gawin. So habang nagwowork, I try not to social media, I try not to text or call, I try not to think of anything else. Para bawas clutter. There should only be one "tab" open in my mind at the moment--- the WORK-TO-BE-DONE tab. (How am I doing with this? May konting improvement naman! Still working on it!).  FOCUS, DECLUTTER YOUR BRAIN.

So dahil mabagal talaga ang processing ng utak ko (don't worry if naman mo sa akin ito, anak--- mabagal doesn't mean bobo at all), kailangan ko ng extra effort to focus and be DISCIPLINED. all these things, to be able to do them, require discipline. Kasi ang natural instinct natin ay gawin kung ano yung masarap, kung ano yung kumportable at nakasanayan at magpapasaya sa atin. I want to challenge myself to do the OPPOSITE. If instinct ko is to check my social media, I should ACT AGAINST IT AND DO THE OPPOSITE.  It's an exercise on discipline.


So why am I writing about this for you? Because I know you'll grow up and eventually have a career of your own (sa ngayon sabi mo, gusto mong maging engineer), and I know career success will probably be a source of happiness for you. I want you to be successful, if it will make you happy and fulfilled. And I hope you learn from my learnings as a career person, I hope you learn from my mistakes.

I realize na ang mga habits natin, nagsisimula mula pa pagkabata. Because they say that people who learned discipline, focus, and perseverance early in life tend to be more successful with their pursuits during adulthood. When it comes to work (and this may be applicable to other things), makakatulong sa iyo ang mga values na iyon. Magkakaroon ka ng working habits na healthy, at effective, and will help you put out your best work.

Nabasa ko itong article na ito and I was really inspired by it. I managed to submit on time these past two weeks dahil sa inspirasyong dala nito! I want to be UNSTOPPABLE!

P.S. When it comes to work, though, it's great if you deliver and you're able to achieve great results. Pero not at the expense of your own character. It's great to achieve your goals, pero kung in the process naman, you've been unkind, selfish, and inconsiderate, and insensitive of others, hindi maganda. Can you bask in your success knowing that on your way up, you have hurt others along the way? I hope not. STRIVE FOR EXCELLENCE, KINDNESS, SENSITIVITY AND CONSIDERATION OF OTHERS ARE MORE IMPORTANT.

So it's 3 PM and I have a meeting at 5 pm. You'll be arriving from school any moment now, kaya maabutan mo pa ako. If I am to get to the office by 5 PM, I really should be getting ready by now. #planahead

I love you my Audrey! See you very soon!



No comments: