Sunday, July 24, 2005

dreams do come true (but not all)



This is the poster of independently-produced movie "Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros", written by my friend, Michiko Yamamoto. One of the best among the films that competed in the Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival! Caught it at the UP Cine Adarna last week and I wasn't let down by my expectations. What a movie.

Apart from the CCP and the UP Cine Adarna it hasn't been shown in public theaters, but odds are great that the public will have a chance to see it soon. Among the Cinemalaya films I've seen this was the one that stood out. Kudos to Mitch for another beautiful piece (she was the one who wrote the award-winning "Magnifico", by the way). To say that I'm inspired is an ultimate understatement--I now want soooo badly to make my first feature-length movie, it hurts to think about it. And I take comfort in the idealist's notion that dreams do come true.

Oh yes. Dreams do come true, you know. And if said aloud, you just might will them towards reality. The power of words---was that Norman Vincent Peale? Og Mandino? Oprah Winfrey? Or did Voltaire say it, too?

Dreams do come true, but not all. Especially when the dream doesn't make sense. Like wishing for a hostile host to invite you in. Like banging on a locked door with your head--granting that the house you're trying to get into does have a door. Mas masakit isipin na kahit pintuan wala...dahil hindi pwede talaga.

It does not take a Voltaire to tell you. All you really need to do is listen to your friends. Ever since it's been the same chorus from different people, at different times. Minsan gusto mo nang makinig, kasi pagod ka na rin.

This goes out to you, insensitive doorless house. I'll never tire of trying to know you, I'll never tire of aiming for friendship. But everything has a shelf life. And what tone I sensed in the last msg you sent me is sure going to hasten the expiry date on the can. But I won't deny that it somekinda hurt a lot.

No comments: