Friday, November 04, 2005

latent mourning period (or a lame attempt at not thinking about it)

Take a hint from the word itself: deadlines can kill you.

Especially the self-imposed ones. Mighty deadly, baby. Not to mention silly.

I'm glad that I'm done, though. My homework--a 25-page sequence breakdown of script continuity concerns for the indie feature film we'll be shooting next week--took me an entire night and a half (Ha-ha, surprise surprise). Not that it was difficult, and that's actually the problem--it was too easy to turn into some kind of gargantuan mission that requires my immediate undivided attention. i was tasked to make it around seven days ago. in between Day 1 and Day 7 I just, well, cruised along, numinu-minooing. Watching CSI. Attending parties. Setting aside the work for later. After all, it was easy, right?

Turns out that the "easy" work demanded hours of nitpicking from me. Literally. Obsessing over whether a blackeye would be purple or greenish by Day4. Nitpicking is boring, mehn. I hate it. Because sometimes I tend to do it without even being aware of it. Gwrrllrlll!

Okay lang. I've been through worse. And the deadline served its purpose--just enough pressure I need to get the work done sooner than photo-finish.

Despite the subtle (subtle ba?) whinings, I don't really mind. Anything for the Big Picture. The literal and the figurative Big Picture. So long as you're seeing your work in the context of the Big Picture, there will be no little (non-creative)(nitpicking)(ho-hum) tasks. I would've gladly picked nits off a monkey if that would help get the (literal) Big Picture done. And given the unpredictable nature of this job, that wouldn't be too far-fetched a thing to happen. Haha!

If it does happen, indeed, at least I'd have something to write about here. Haha. Love this job! The recreation of reality from paper to celluloid, the running and the chasing, the climbing of cliffs, the pursuit of goats, the filming of an elaborate scene in the middle of the sea, the wrapup parties, the ribbing of jesting crewmen, the gorgeous ultranice artistas, the big-screen premiere of a movie that you, as a little pinpoint in the production firmament, have somehow co-created. it doesn't matter how good or bad the end product is. the first-time bigscreen viewing experience has always made me beamin-proud. :-)

sigh. birthday ni uma. sayang si uma. badingerzi. nalungkot akong bigla. :-(

funny eh. my whole entry doesn't seem to have any connection with the entry title. well, except for the fourth to the last sentence. no, i don't dig uma. i've had it with those, erm, dark ages. someday i'm gonna resurrect out of this whole thing.

1 comment:

CF said...

I can totally relate to doing other stuff to avoid thinking about the stuff that's really bothering you! Hay!!!

I hope things get better for you in a major way soon.