Tuesday, April 25, 2006

saigon sourpuss

i'm officially 26 today. it sucks. getting older and all. 26-year-olds used to be my titos, titas, and teachers. i don't feel it. and man, do i hope that i still don't look it. haha. vain beeyatch.

getting older is not the only thing that sucks about turning 26. it's turning 26 away from your family, away from home, having to spend the birthday with people you hardly know. at least one canadian guy has said that birthdays mean sooo much to girls and that a guy shouldn't forget those things. i told him that i don't give a s***t about my birthday, i'm more concerned about getting older. sheesh, i hate it when people generalize. especially when they're boys and they're generalizing girls.

well, it turns out that i was going to spend my first hour as a 26-year-old in the company of these two boys--my Pinoy companion NB(the only other Pinoy in this far-off lonely land) and the (generalizing) Canadian guy. apparently they didn't believe me when i said that i wasn't so hot about celebrating my birthday. Girls, I could almost hear the Canadian guy say, when they say no they're really saying yes. Haha.

They decided to take me out for drinks downtown. aw sweet. it would've been impolite and unappreciative of me to not go along with the plan-for-the-night, even if i would've opted to just stay home until the clock struck 12. dour way to hit 26, not to mention totally predictable of my personality. ha-ha-ha!

sigh. it was a semi-long night. we went to this bar where 60% of the people were foreigners (the Viets have a 1am curfew, and most local establishments close at this time). i didn't enjoy it. sourpuss birthday girl. but there was nothing that i wanted more than to be with the people i love at that hour.

happy birthday frog princess. i do hope the Boyfriend has whipped up something really good for you today. something to make it a really happy birthday.

hay!!!! a hundred thousand miles away and my thoughts are still with you-know-who. you're here for the work, mushy-Mary, wag mo namang sayangin ang pinunta mo dito. work work work. go get to work, set aside the i-miss-yous for later. that's the only way you're goin home with a smile.

lift your head, baby don't be scared, of the things that could go wrong along the way...you'll get by, with a smile..

in fairness, pwedeng personal anthem. thanks, BK, for giving me that E-heads compilation as a birthday gift. hinehele nya ko every night. sure, sobrang naho-homesick ako pag nakikinig ako, but aside from my occasional trips to the internet shop those pinoy songs are my only link to home.

man, i'm soooo homesick. and soooo dang mushy.

pati tuloy mga text msgs ni BK, nami-miss ko. those 1am "nytznytzzzz" and "lights out, sleep tightzzz" (hahaha! ang lala nya talaga). hay, grabe na ito. siguro ganito lang talaga pag di pa busy. in two days i probably won't even have time to go to the internet shop.

i miss fg. so dang much.

the Boyfriend better make this a happy birthday for you, or i'm gonna take that against him. haha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

I've experienced this before -- spending my birthday away from home, with people I don't know well. It wasn't too bad, but I sympathize since I know the feeling.

Hayaan mo... the homesickness will pass. And soon you'll be home again, with lots of new stories, new photos, and new memories. :D

saffron_blue said...

haha! thanks cf! :-)